Caporale Family Tree (and everyone else related)

Church of St. George, the Martyr

Mary HobdayAge: 75 years18091884

Name
Mary Hobday
Given names
Mary
Surname
Hobday
Married name
Small
Birth June 7, 1809 28 24
Address: Church of St. George, the Martyr
Birth of a brotherJohn Hobday
November 1810 (Age 16 months)

Birth of a brotherWilliam Hobday
April 14, 1812 (Age 2 years)
Address: Church of St. George, the Martyr
Birth of a brotherJohn Hobday
January 1814 (Age 4 years)
Address: Church of St. George, the Martyr
Birth of a brotherEdwin Hobday
March 5, 1816 (Age 6 years)
Address: Church of St. George, the Martyr
Birth of a sisterSarah Ann Hobday
February 3, 1818 (Age 8 years)
Address: Church of St. George, the Martyr
Birth of a brotherFrederick Hobday
January 11, 1819 (Age 9 years)
Address: Church of St. George, the Martyr
Birth of a brotherJoseph Hobday
March 1821 (Age 11 years)
Address: Church of St. George, the Martyr
Birth of a sisterBertha Margaret Hobday
March 5, 1825 (Age 15 years)
Address: Church of St. George, the Martyr
Birth of a sisterJane Hobday
June 30, 1827 (Age 18 years)
Address: Church of St. George, the Martyr
Death September 14, 1884 (Age 75 years)

Family with parents - View this family
father
mother
Marriage: April 23, 1805
7 years
younger brother
-6 years
elder brother
3 years
herself
18 months
younger brother
3 years
younger brother
2 years
younger brother
23 months
younger sister
Sarah Ann Hobday
Birth: February 3, 1818 37 33Canterbury, Kent, England
Death: February 6, 1818Canterbury, Kent, England
11 months
younger brother
2 years
younger brother
4 years
younger sister
2 years
younger sister

Note

Christening in St. George's Canterbury

Note

he Tower at the top of Canterbury High Street, which has for many years been known as "The Clock Tower" (picture above), is just part of the Canterbury landscape for the local residents and now is used for little more than telling the time. It was, however, part of the large and ancient church of St. George the Martyr. On the side of the Tower is a small plaque which states that the dramatist Christopher Marlowe was baptized in this Church. In the registers the entry appears as: "The 26th day of February was christened Christofer the sonne of John Marlowe". In fact, Christopher was born in a house almost opposite the Church on the corner of St. George's Lane which unfortunately, no longer exists.

An early Church guide claims that there was originally a Saxon Church on this site but there is no physical evidence of this fact. Because of the name of the Church and there having been associations with the "cult" of St. George and The Archbishop of Canterbury in the late 7th Century, Theodore of Tarsus, there is a strong possibility that there was a very early Church in this location. However, there were remains of Norman work in the lower part of the Tower and the West door which points to there certainly having been a Church on this site since before 1100 AD

The Church went through a series of enlargements over the centuries, the last of which was in 1872 when the neighbouring Church of St. Mary Magdalene in nearby Burgate was demolished (other than the Tower which still exists) because it was in such a poor state of repair. At this time a North Aisle was added so that the additional population from the larger Parish could be accommodated. Much of the material for this construction was robbed from the remains of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene. The Nave as viewed in the picture below was formerly the old North Aisle and was seperated from the old Nave by iron columns. With the addition of the new North Aisle, the old North Aisle became the Nave and the old Nave became the South Aisle. The rows of imitation Transition Norman Columns were made of the stone brought from St. Mary Magdalene. A new Chancel was added at the same time from the former Chapel to Our Lady. Three of the five bells were made by Joseph Hatch, the family of well known local bell founder from Ulcombe in Kent.

Note

Canterbury St George the Martyr was one of the Ancient Parish within the city The parish of St George was united with Canterbury St Mary Magdalen, Kent on 6 March 1681 to form a united benefice. The church is referred to in Edward Hasted, 'Canterbury: The churches within the city and suburbs', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 11 (1800), pp. 209-288. at British History Online

The Church of St George the Martyr was destroyed by enemy bombing raids on the night of 31 May/1 June 1942 although the tower remained standing for some weeks until demolished, a history of the church is available at Kent Family History Society The former site of St George church was used to form the mission church of Bertha the Queen see Kent Family History Society

BirthChurch of St. George, the MartyrChurch of St. George, the Martyr
Format: image/jpeg
Image dimensions: 375 × 500 pixels
File size: 233 KB
Type: Photo
Media objectChurch of St. George, the MartyrChurch of St. George, the Martyr
Format: image/jpeg
Image dimensions: 375 × 500 pixels
File size: 233 KB
Type: Photo